Conversations act as the food for the soul, and any type of meaningful relationship with someone starts with a good conversation. Moreover, if you have a crush on someone, you know how difficult it is to start a conversation and keep it going.
Even though you want to spend all of your free time with them, actually coming up with things to talk about with your crush can seem like a daunting task.
But if you are armed with some good topics for conversation, things can get quite easy, and your talks with your crush will go on smoothly and without a hitch.
So, without any further ado, check out these fun conversation topics that will give you endless things to talk about with your crush and make your life easier.
Summary in Infographics
Things to talk about with your crush over text
If you want to keep the conversation light and fun and if you are texting a girl or a boy you have a crush on, you can get started with these topics to talk about:
1. What is it about you that your close friends and family members would be shocked to hear?
This will encourage your crush to open up and reveal to you about the naughty and bad things they might have done.
2. If you could have just one superpower for one day, what would it be?
This is a great question that will not only lead to fun conversations, but will also tell you what your crush thinks is the most important power to have?
3. What is your weirdest pet peeve?
All of us have things that can drive us a little bit crazy, and finding out this information about your crush will give you material to tease them later on. This can also spark some flirtation, if you know how to play your cards right.
4. Who knows you in the best possible way?
This question will reveal who is most important for your crush in their life. It is also a great way to find out how close your crush is to their friends and family, and will give you an opportunity to be more intimate with them.
5. What’s the first thing you will do if you happen to win the lottery?
This is a great question because it will tell you about the priorities of the person you like. For instance, whether they are pragmatic and choose to invest, or more spontaneous and go on a shopping trip.
6. What was your most favorite tv show when you were a kid?
This will create a feeling of nostalgia in the conversation, and who knows, you may even turn out to like the same kinds of shows. This will then result in a feeling of intimacy and bonding between the two of you.
7. If you were a member of the opposite sex for just one day, what would you do?
It’s a fun thing to talk about that will also bring out some more interesting topics that you can explore.
8. What kind of music do you like?
Music is a great source of intimacy and connection between people from different parts of the world. This question will reveal what but tastes of your crush are, and whether you both like the same kind of music. If yes, you will feel closer to them, and if not, you will learn about some new artists.
9. What type of movies do you like?
Again, if you happen to like the same kind of movies, you can then use it as a prelude to ask them out on a date. If you like different kinds of movies, you will discover something new to enjoy.
10. What is your favorite movie?
This is a natural follow-up question to the previous one. If both of you have the same favorite movies, you can have a movie marathon as a date, and if you have a different favorite, you can both watch each other’s favorites together.
11. What is your favorite restaurant in the city?
If you know how to twist the conversation around, you can turn this question into a date and you can both go to their favorite restaurant for lunch or dinner.
Good things to talk about with your crush
Here are some good conversation topics and things to talk about with your crush that will help you get to know them better:
12. Do you like to cook?
If your crush likes cooking, you can ask them to teach you their favorite dish. Moreover, if they don’t like cooking, you can cook something nice for them and offer to teach them. Because either way, it’s a win win question that can easily translate to a cozy date.
13. What kind of shows do you like to binge watch?
Because if you happen to like the same kinds of shows you can offer to have a cozy night in and watch something interesting with them.
14. What’s the one please that you always wanted to go?
Learning about where someone wants to go over their travel dreams can also tell you a lot about their personality.
15. What are your hobbies?
This is a very basic question, yet it is one of the most important ones. Hobbies are a very important part of who a person is, and if you both share some common interests and hobbies, it will only strengthen your bond with each other.
16. What are some modern trends you just do not understand?
Having a graphic session about the annoying trends in fashion or pop culture is not only a funny and entertaining conversation to have in common but it also reveals what kind of person your crush is and what their interests are.
17. Do you like reading? What are your favorite books?
You will get bonus points for this question if your crush likes to read. Moreover, you can engage in a conversation with them about that book. Additionally, everyone likes someone who is well read.
18. Do you like the city you were born in? What was it like?
This question will give you a lot of insight into the person your crush is today and will also give you the opportunity to learn how they became who they are now.
19. What do you do when you are hanging out with your friends?
If you want to have a relationship with someone, you also need to get to know their friends. This is a great question to ask a girl or boy that you have a crush on. Because it is a way of learning what kind of relationship your crush has with her or his friends.
20. What kind of jobs have you had in the past?
Again, this will reveal why your crush is the person he or she is today, and because our experiences play a big role in developing our personalities.
21. What kind of job do you want in the future?
This will tell you what the dreams and desires of this person are. Moreover, you will know whether or not they align with your dreams and desires.
22. What are your biggest accomplishments till date?
This will give your crush an opportunity to brag about themselves a bit, and this is always a good strategy because people always love talking about themselves.
23. What is the next big thing that you want to achieve in your life?
This will give you an insight into what your crush wants to pursue in their future and whether you two are compatible with each other or not.
Topics to talk about with your crush on the phone
If you want to keep the conversation going on the phone and not to disconnect the call, you can try using this list of questions:
24. If you could add alcohol to one sport, which one would it be and why?
It’s a great and funny question, because adding alcohol removes any type of coordination necessary for sports and will result in hilarious consequences.
25. If you could turn a movie into a musical, which one would it be?
Imagine some serious movie like the terminator and its classic line, “I’ll be back” being sung along with dance and flair.
26. What is the one task that no matter who tries, ends up looking stupid doing?
For instance, eating noodles in public always makes people look like buffoons trying to swallow a lot of food at once. Walking into a spider web is another example that always has hilarious consequences.
27. Which would be the rudest animal if they could talk? And what do you think they would say?
Imagine a raccoon talking rudely about someone we won’t let them go through their trash. You can also make this more interesting by doing the impressions of the animal talking.
28. What part of a kid’s cartoon completely scared you?
It’s a funny question that leads to nostalgia and hilarious conversations about weird movies you both watched when you were a kid. It will showcase your sense of humor, if you know how to play your cards right.
29. What is the most ridiculous factoid you know?
All of us know random bits of information that do not have any importance, but for some reason stay inside our head for a very long time.
30. What is the funniest joke you have ever heard?
You can both tell each other strange and classic jokes. Moreover, it will be a great bonding exercise.
31. What is the worst name a parent can give to their child?
This can include real names that both of you think are completely ridiculous, or made up names that some weird parent has given to their child and made their life difficult. Feel free to let your imagination run wild.
Fun things to talk about with your crush
Here are some funny and amazing things to talk to your crush with when you want to keep it lighthearted and non-serious:
32. What is your favorite pizza topping?
This can, again, spiral into asking them out for a pizza date. Moreover, just make sure that both of you are on the same page about pineapple on pizza!
33. What is the most attractive thing to you about the opposite sex?
This will get the ball rolling and give you a great segue to brag a little bit about yourself. For example, if she says that she likes guys who are neat and tidy, you can tell her that when she comes to see your room, it is practically spotless!
34. What is the least attractive thing about the opposite sex?
You have to find this out right now, so that you do not commit the mistake of doing that thing later on.
35. What is a funny or silly thing that creeps you out or scares you?
All of us have irrational fears and phobias. And, finding out what scares your crush can turn into a hilarious conversation about the silly fears both of you have.
36. Are you a fancy outfit kind of person or a t-shirt and denim shorts kind of person?
This question will not only tell you whether your crush is a party person or a casual one, but will also tell you where you can take him or her for the next date.
37. What is the worst thing a guest has done in your house? Who was the guest?
We have all had nightmare guests, and the stories that spiral from this question will be both horror inducing and hilarious.
38. What is a thing that always sounds like it will be a good idea, but later it always turns out not to be?
One example of this would be getting drunk and basically doing anything, because everything sounds like a great idea when you are drunk, and then you regret everything the next morning.
39. What is something that you are completely bored, over, and done with?
Something so overhyped or overdone and something you are so irritated with that you cannot even.
40. What is the most immature thing your parents or your family members do?
Even though they are adults, they are people too, and sometimes they do things that are completely immature and unreasonable.
41. What is something that amazes you every single day?
You can both share things that are completely mind blowing to you and maybe you’ll find something that amazes you too, but you never knew about until now.
42. What is a thing that you wish people will stop asking you?
For example, if someone is bespectacled, people may ask them to let them use their glasses now and then, and honestly, it can get a bit annoying.
Interesting topics to talk about with your crush
If you want to take the conversation to the next level, here are some questions to ask your crush and things you can talk about that will make your talks even more stimulating:
43. What is something that you are trying to improve about yourself?
Every single one of us is a work in progress and we’re all trying to move towards a better version of ourselves. Finding out what your crush is trying to be better at will give you some great insight into the person they are and who they want to be, and also tell you if you want to take things into the long term with this person.
44. Do you think that it is ever the right thing to lie? What would be such a situation?
This question will also tell you a great deal about what your crush thinks is an innocent white lie, and what do they deem unacceptable. Moreover, if your crush turns into a relationship, this can be a good thing to keep in mind.
45. What was the highest and the lowest point of your life?
This is a very personal question, and it will tell you a lot about the journey that your crush has been through so far. But because of the personal nature of this question, you should also make sure that you picked the right moment to ask this.
46. Can we change human nature completely due to the influence of society or culture?
Moreover, and more importantly, is it our nature that determines our personality, or is it nurture? Additionally, are we a product of our genes, or are we a product of the environment around us?
47. What is the best and worst thing about being human?
Human beings are a very interesting species. Because we show the best and worst traits in the animal kingdom. Moreover, discussing what about our species fascinates you and disgusts you can be a very fascinating conversation.
48. Who would you give up your life for?
This question is extremely interesting because it shines a light on the things and the people that are most important to us. When your crush answers this question, it will reveal who or what in her life she considers more important than her own life.
49. What is the most important thing for a healthy relationship?
And when your crush tells you what this thing is, be sure you make a note of it and be mindful of it in the future if your crush turns into a relationship with them.
50. What makes a person evil in a true and pure sense?
And what can a person do or say that will be completely unforgivable in their eyes? What do they think is completely beyond redemption?
51. What are the things that keep you awake at night?
Depending on the answer, it can be a funny or a serious conversation about their fears, desires, or dreams.
52. If you could change something about the society or the country you live in, what would it be?
This is a great question for finding out what kind of politics your crush leans towards, and what kind of issues are very important to them, without asking them any of this directly.
53. What is something that people learn only after they’ve made a mistake and it’s too late?
This question will help both of you share wisdom with each other, discuss past mistakes you have made, and learn from those mistakes. It will enrich your lives and increase your intimacy through shared experiences.
54. What day of your life would you describe as one of the best ones?
A good childhood memory or even an adult memory can always lead to interesting and fond conversations with your crush that will leave both of you happy and full of joy.
55. If you had to choose between being poor and having lots of great friends, or being rich with no real friends – what would you choose and why?
This question will reveal a great deal about the priorities that your crush has and what they value most in their life.
56. What are some situations in which you jump to conclusions about other people very quickly?
It’s a question that will not only tell you how truthful your crushes, but also what kind of situations give them reason to judge other people in a snap.
Romantic things to talk about with your crush
Once you have moved past the stage of being friends, you can move to asking questions that are a little bit romantic in nature. The following questions are great for getting those kinds of conversations flowing:
57. What is the most romantic thing you have ever done for anyone?
This question will tell you to what degree of romance is your crush committed to. Are they the kind of person who cooks dinner for someone, or do they prefer to make elaborate arrangements for their boyfriend’s or girlfriend’s birthday party?
58. Have you ever been in love?
This question is good for finding out if your crush has ever been truly in love with someone. You can then also ask them what it was like and why they broke up with that person.
59. What did you think I was like when you first met me?
This question will tell you a great deal about what your first impression on your crush was. You can also ask them if they have changed their opinion about you or if they still think of you the same way.
60. Do you believe that soulmates exist?
Is your crush a hardcore romantic who believes that everyone has that one person that is meant for them, or are they more cynical? This is definitely one of the greatest date questions, if you happen to get to that stage.
61. What is your idea of the perfect date night?
Would they like to do something adventurous, or would they prefer the classical dinner and movie date? Whatever they say, do make sure you note it down and re-create their perfect date night when you ask them out.
62. What do you think is the most important thing for having a strong foundation in a relationship?
Honesty and trust are obviously important, but maybe your crush has some additional requirements. Also, it would be good to get ahead of the curve and find out what criteria you need to fulfill to be in their life.
63. Do you think that there is such a thing as love at first sight?
You can also pass it off as a cheesy pick up line and add, “or should I walk in again?”
64. Do you think that friendship can ever turn into love?
If you are just friends with your crush, you can ask them this question to gauge their reaction, and also to find out if you have a chance with them.
Random things to talk about with your crush
Sometimes you don’t want to be too specific or talk about any serious things, but still are keen on spending time and want to find some light things to talk about with your crush. In such cases, you can make some small talk about these random topics:
65. What was the first car you owned? What kind of car would you like to have in the future?
Only ask this question if you already know that your crush is into cars.
66. What were your favorite holidays when you were a kid?
You can then also ask what their favorite holidays are now? What is an example of a holiday that they wish existed? What are their plans for upcoming holidays?
67. Are you a tea or a coffee person?
How do you like your tea or coffee? Moreover, do you prefer to make it yourself, or do you buy it? Also, how many cups of tea or coffee do you drink on a daily basis? And what is your favorite cafe in the city?
68. Do you like photography?
If yes, what kind of pictures do you like to take? Moreover, do you prefer phone cameras, or handheld cameras? What are some of your favorite pictures you’ve taken?
69. Do you like going to the beach?
How often do you go? What are your good and bad memories associated with the beach? When was the last time you went to the beach? What is your favorite thing to do at the beach?
70. Do you like to go on hikes?
How often do you do that and what was the most beautiful hike you have ever been on? What is the longest hike you have been on? Is there a place where you would like to go hiking someday?
71. How comfortable are you with changes?
Do you think that a lot of changes at once are good for a person? What do you think about the changes happening? What would you like to change about yourself?
72. Do you have any specific talents and skills?
Is there something that you are naturally amazing at? What kinds of talents and skills would you like to develop in the future? What do you think are the most useful skills to have in today’s world?
73. Do you like to go shopping?
What kinds of things do you like to shop for? What do you love and hate about shopping? Is it more preferable for you to shop online or in person?
74. How often are you on social media?
What kinds of social media platforms do you use on a daily basis? What effects do you think excessive exposure of social media has on us? Are there any platforms that you don’t like particularly, and if yes, why?
75. Have you ever gone volunteering or donated to charity?
If yes, what kinds of organizations do you recommend? Did you like volunteering? Do you think that there are any charities or organizations that are not worth supporting?
Deep things to talk about with your crush
Take your conversations to the next level and pick your crush’s brain about these deep and fascinating topics that will reveal a great deal about them:
76. If you could choose between being happy and being smart, what would you choose, and why?
This question will reveal the priorities your crush has, and what they value most in their life. It will also create a deeper bond between the two of you and you will feel more intimate.
77. What is something that scared you, but you went ahead and did it anyway?
This question will reveal whether you are crushing on a risk-taker, so someone who prefers a safe approach. You can then decide if their philosophy works for you or not.
78. What is something about you that no one knows – not even your parents or your best friends?
This is one of the most interesting things to talk about with your crush. It is great for getting to know them on a deeper basis. If your crush does not want to tell you such a secret, though, do not pressurize them.
79. What is a bad habit of yours?
And tell them they cannot say something like – “I work too hard!” Ask for a real flaw and you can try revealing your flaws first to get the ball rolling.
80. If money was not a problem, where would you like to live in the whole world?
It’s a great question to ask if you want to know what parts of the world, countries, or continents your crush loves, and whether they are a beach kind of person, or a mountain kind.
81. When you were in high school, were you popular or not?
Talking about their past will also tell you their journey as a human being and what shaped them into who they are now.
82. What is on your bucket list?
The bucket list tells you what kind of dreams and desires are so dear to a person that they want to complete them before dying. If you find that there are items in both of your bucket lists that are common, maybe it means that you are meant for each other.
83. Would you rather spend 10 days on the beach, or hiking or backpacking through europe?
This kind of question also tells you what travel habits does your crush have? Do they prefer historical cities of Europe, or the natural serenity of a beach?
84. What has been the worst year of your life till now?
Finding out about their low points, in combination with their high points, is essential to understanding them as a flawed, complete human being.
85. What is the one thing that is a deal breaker for you, or is worth ending a relationship over?
Everyone has read one thing that completely irritates them and is unforgivable. Find out what that thing is for your crush, and make sure you make a mental note to never do that thing.
Hypothetical things to talk about with your crush
There are many imaginary scenarios that can also tell you a lot about a person. Here are some of them:
86. If you could run for president, what would be the first change you would make once you are elected in the office?
There are a lot of things going on in the world, and many times, the politicians’ actions do not align with the public will. This question will tell you what the political alliances of your crush are and what they would like to change if they have the power.
87. If you could go back in time and meet a famous personality, who would it be?
We all idolize some people from history that means a lot to us. This question is great for finding out who your crush’s role models are. Indeed, it is a one of the most interesting things to talk about with your crush.
88. If money was not a problem, what would you give someone as a gift?
Again, this tells you how generous your crush is and how well they know the people around them. It will also tell you what they think is an ideal gift for their loved ones.
89. If heaven and hell were real, where do you think you would go?
This question will tell you whether your crush thinks of themselves as naughty or nice. You can also proceed with the conversation and flirt a little bit, calling them an angel from heaven already.
90. If you could make your own ice cream flavor, what would it be and what would it contain?
It’s a bit of a lighthearted and fun question, but nonetheless very interesting.
91. What is the biggest bullet you have dodged in relationships?
If your crush has ever been in a relationship before, they must have experienced a time when they later realized that breaking up with someone or not going on that second date was the right decision. Ask them about this experience and how it made them feel.
92. What is the best compliment you have ever received?
This will give them an opportunity to talk about themselves. You can also ask a follow up question like, what is the best compliment they have given to someone else? Do they enjoy getting compliments or giving them?
93. What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?
Beauty as an experience stays with us long past the moment in which we experienced it. Talking about it will tell both of you if you really see the world, or are you passing it by.
94. Are you a serious person or a fun person?
With busy but they are serious, you can ask them why they are that way? And if they are a fun person, you can ask them if there ever has been a situation where they wish they had been more serious.
95. What is something that has completely changed your life?
Cornerstone events or experiences change who we are as a person at a very fundamental level. Talking about this will bring both of you closer to each other.
96. What is something you spend a lot of money on, but you know that you shouldn’t?
We all make some not so great decisions sometimes when it comes to money. You can also take this conversation further and ask them what they are doing to curb this habit.
97. What kind of art do you like?
Art reveals a lot about us as human beings. Finding out their favorite artist, their opinion on modern art, or their favorite art museums can be very helpful for planning dates as well.
98. What do you think about online dating?
It’s a relatively new phenomena that none of our ancestors has ever experienced before. What your crush thinks about online dating and what do you think about it will reveal how compatible the two of you are.
99. Do you think aliens exist?
If yes, are they intelligent? Do you think they have ever visited us? What would you do if it was an alien invasion?
100. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
Isn’t that the fundamental question we all need to find the answer to before dating someone?
The importance of good conversation
It is clear that if you want to establish a good relationship with someone, you need to have solid conversations. This is why you need to figure out some deep and interesting things to talk about with your crush.
Here are the most important benefits of conversation, specifically common good conversation:
1. It creates a connection between two people, which is one of the greatest rewards of our life. Connection with fellow humans is also what helps us feel bigger than ourselves.
2. Rather it’s family, friends, or romantic relationships, conversations are what keep the relationship vibrant and lively.
3. Speculation happens when there is no communication. People jump to conclusions and end up hurting each other. Conversation is important for maintaining stability in a relationship.
4. Conversation helps us share information, and find out information about others. This is important if you want to have a long-lasting relationship with someone because it prevents conflicts.
5. It sparks ideas. Good conversation is like a mixing bowl where both people share their ideas and synergy emerges.
6. Conversation helps you grow by exposing you to a wider range of experiences and ideas beyond yourself.
7. Conversations give the other person a sense of value, especially when you take the time to listen to them. It’s a great way of showing appreciation for the other person.
8. It forces you to articulate and pin down the ideas that are bouncing around in your head. In doing this, you not only discover what you’re thinking, but also yourself.
9. It challenges you. When you are exposed to different opinions, you need to defend your own opinions with facts, or discard them if they are irrelevant.
10. Conversations are fun. They make you laugh, can cheer you up, and can be intensely fascinating.
Although you can never make anyone fall in love with you, having good conversation starters and being able to handle a solid talk that is interesting and fun definitely helps. It may take some time for your crush to develop feelings for you, and being able to chat with them in an effortless manner while also entertaining them will definitely prove your case. It will also plant a seed in their mind that may blossom into a great relationship.
Namrata is a Doctor i.e. dentist turned writer and a clinical researcher. Eager to learn about anything and everything, she is what you would call a jack of all trades and master of none. With a zeal for reading novels, books, and anything she could get her hands on ever since she was little, she embarked into a writing career purely out of luck. After indulging in a freelancing career for nearly two years, she can now write on anything - from dentistry to decor, travel to technology, medicine to management - but the psychology remains her first love. Having dealt with mental health issues in the past, she hopes to raise awareness for the same and help people with her work in association with ThePleasantConversation team.